Endless Plains & Zanzibar
No other name so captures the essence of an African safari in Tanzania as Serengeti. The “Endless Plains” of the Serengeti is renowned for having the greatest concentrations of wildlife in the world, including the greatest wildlife spectacle on earth—the Great Migration of Wildebeest on the Serengeti. The park has more large animals than any other protected area on earth. Ngorongoro Crater is the largest intact caldera in the world with over 30,000 mammals on the floor of this extinct volcano. Known as “Spice Island,” Zanzibar is a completely different side of Africa. Combining two of the very best safari parks in the world with Island paradise, is an experience of a lifetime and something you cannot find anywhere else in the world.
- Abundant wildlife on the Serengeti Plains
- Multiple days on safari in the Serengeti which has the largest concentration of lions in Africa
- Safaris on the crater floor of Ngorongoro, the “Eighth Wonder of the World”
- Chances to discover the Big Five and Great Migration
- Otherworldly Maasai village visit
- Relax along white-sand beaches on exotically romantic Zanzibar Island
- Enjoy an array of water sports
- Visit Spice Island’s 1,000-year-old Stone Town
“To witness that calm rhythm of life revives our worn souls and recaptures a feeling of belonging to the natural world. No one can return from the Serengeti unchanged, for tawny lions will forever prowl our memory and great herds throng our imagination.”
Days 1: Arrive in Arusha
Days 2-3: Ngorongoro Crater
Days 4-7: Serengeti
The morning light is brilliant as you cross the expanse of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area bound for the Serengeti, home to magnificent creatures and arguably the greatest wildlife theater on earth. An optional visia to Olduvai Gorge en route is provided where you walk to the bottom of the gorge where Mary Leaky discovered the remains of Australopithecus Homo Habilis and Homo Erectus. Contemplating the breath of time of mankind’s evolution is humbling, if not incomprehensible. It is hard for us to appreciate time beyond two or three generations, much less the millions of years like we are witnessing being unraveled before us as we walk down to the excavated bottom of Olduvai Gorge.
On the Serengeti Plain lives an estimated 2,500 lions and there are more cheetahs here than anywhere else in Africa. Hyenas, wildebeests, zebras, gazelles, ostriches, hippos, and other animals can be seen in abundance. Covering more than 5,700 square miles, the Serengeti is breathtaking terrain composed of acacia savannah, grass plains, and dense woodland grouped around kopje rock formations standing in a sea of grass. The kopjes provide shelter to a great variety of plants and animals, from the elusive leopard to the tiny dik-dik. It is estimated that one million animals live in the area with more than one-third of them being wildebeests.
Days 8-11: Zanzibar Island
Time to dream and relax is a welcome reprieve and so different from how we lead our lives back home. It’s especially welcomed after the adventures of your safari experience whereby you have time to relive in your mind all that you saw and experienced. Life is put in perspective and time seems to stand still. Enjoy water activities, go on spice tours, and visit fabled Stone Town—a world Heritage Site. Mostly, Zanzibar is a place to relax and enjoy a completely different side of Africa.
Day 12: International flight onward
- All airport arrival welcomes and departure farewells with private transfers
- Double occupancy accommodations throughout your African safari in Tanzania
- All meals
- Multiple wildlife safari game-viewing drives
- Services of English-speaking guide and driver
- All park and conservancy fees and government taxes
- All internal flights (international flights to/from Africa are not included)
- Customary tipping of guides
- Gratuities to lodge staff
- Membership in Flying Doctors Society
- Bottled water while on safari
- Storage and organization of gear, baggage, and personal effects
- Services of our management team in the USA and Africa
- Guaranteed departures with just two guests
What is special about this journey?
What is the main reason I should choose this journey over the Metamo Classic Journey, “Essence of Tanzania?”
If you had to say what the highlight of the trip will be, what would you say?
What kind of accommodations will I be staying in?
Ready to start your adventure?
We're ready to be your guide as you embark on the wondrous discovery of your own great story.